Thursday 8 March 2007

The cost

As promised I will lay out today exactly what I claimed from Demon. The list is as follows:

£24.99 for the loss of one months service due to throttling.
£20.26 for the loss of use of my MMORPG subscriptions.
£193.56 for the increased cost of a new ISP to meet our needs over the next 12 months.
£30.00 Court fee

£268.81 in total.

The process to take out a summons is fairly straightforward and has lots of help screens to provide support. You can also go back and forth to change the details before committing. One word of caution though. The Small Claims Court used is in Northampton, so if you do have to attend court you need to take this into consideration. You can, of course, ask for costs if you win on the day.

I would recommend this course of action. It is very straightforward and there is a high degree of success, from what I have seen of most of the FUP's I've seen. Although you must remember that I am not a lawyer, I am always happy to accept correspondence.

I will be writing to OFCOM and the Advertising Standards to raise the profile of FUP's. I will, of course, put the correspondence up here.

2 comments:

Chris Swinden said...

Hi there mate,

I respect you for what you're doing. ISPs really are a joke in the UK. I'm currently having problems with my own ISP (Eclipse) with traffic shaping. I'm going to be moving ISP hopefully at the end of this month when my exchange is being enabled for BE Broadband.


Keep up the good work,

Chris

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm glad to see you got a resolution to this matter. ISPs are getting away with a lot IMO. PIPEX is my current ISP and they are sending out threatening letters and trying to force people to sign their FUP despite the service being claimed to be 'unlimited'.

Letter someone has kindly scanned can be found here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/
albums/v188/Sockpuppetuk/
?action=view¤t=Image1-9.jpg

I'm really chuffed that you made a stand against demon and won.
Good luck in the future,
JON