Thursday 22 February 2007

The New ISP

I converted our router over to the new ISP this evening. I expected that it would be a chore, but it was very simple really, just change the login and the DNS settings and off I went. The difference was very dramatic. When on Demon, it was chugging along very slowly, but after switching, it's like being on an express train.

After a lot of debate, we finally went with UKFSN (http://www.ukfsn.org for those interested). The reason for this was that they are up front with their charging plans, no FUP nonsense. We pay to download 90Gb per month at peak times and 330Gb at off peak times - that's it. I will let you all know how things progress as time goes on, but initially I'm impressed. I think that this outfit is a small one, which after the impersonal attitude of Demon, is a major benefit.

The other thing I like about this supplier is that the money is ploughed back into software development and also he is against DRM (Digital Rights Management) which is another of my pet hates.

1 comment:

Cyberdoyle said...

Not that I am being nosy, well I am really, but how much does it cost for that level of service?
Also what happens if you go over that limit?
Also what on earth do you download that takes so many gig? I am only asking because we run a little community network and our peak time bandwidth is a gig a day shared between us all, and unlimited at night. thanks, cyberdoyle